Membership of Circuit is open to members of the Bar of England and Wales, who ordinarily practice, or intend to practice on the North Eastern Circuit. It is also open to Judges who were members of Circuit, and wish to be included in the Circuit Insurance Scheme and retired members of the bar.
There are many benefits of joining Circuit; among them are:
- Representation by the Leader and others to
campaign on issues such as QASA, Competitive Tendering and Fees. The Circuit has representatives on the Bar
Council and many of the specialist committees of the Bar Council. You have free access to those who are on
these committees and an opportunity to influence the response of the Circuit to
issues of the day. In addition, you can
put yourself forward as a Circuit representative
- Being kept informed of up to date issues
through Circuit Newsletters and attendance at meetings
- Consultation documents prepared by the Leader, with support from senior barristers, are based on comments received by members
- A comprehensive Circuit wide programme of
educational events with CPD accreditation. You will be able to obtain all your CPD points without spending a penny
of your own money if you are a member of Circuit since these events are free to
- Circuit provides RASSO training which is accredited by the CPS
- Pupils’ training, both advocacy and Practice management, are free for Pupils whose Supervisor is a Circuit member
- Attendance at all Circuit social events. Such events provide you with an opportunity
to meet and get to know members of Circuit from all specialist areas. It provides you with an opportunity to meet
and get to know people whom you would not ordinarily see on a daily basis in
court. Attendance at Mess and Grand
Court greatly enhances the camaraderie of those who practise on Circuit
- The opportunity to seek advice and support from the Leader on delicate issues
- Membership of the Circuit’s Life Insurance Scheme
- Eligibility to stand for election for a Circuit Role.
For further information on membership please contact the Circuit Secretary Ian Mullarkey, at KBW Chambers, The Engine House, 1 Foundry Square, Leeds LS11 5DL.
If you wish to join Circuit please complete the application form and direct debit mandate and send both to the Circuit Administrator: Suzy Trott, PO Box 789, Harrogate HG1 9RY. Enquiries: tel: 07736 528181 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The relevant forms
must be received before the Grand Court to ensure the names are publicised in
line with the constitution. It is a Circuit tradition for those joining to "stand on their chair" at Grand Court Mess, however this is not mandatory and up to the individual to decide.
The subscription fees for Membership of Circuit from November 2014 until further notice are:
|Silks ||£235 |
|15 years and above||£170|
|10 years and above||£165|
|5 years and above||£160|
|Less than 5 years' call||£90|
|Judges & retired bar||£45|